Monthly Archives: January 2013
Well, it’s that time again! Let’s take a look into the crystal ball to see what kind of gaming goodness is being conjured up for your entertainment…
1) Pass it by; nothing interesting here…
2) Only buy it if you’re REALLY a fan of a genre
3) Not a hot item, but worth having; Put it on the “to buy” list.
4) Rave reviews or a great addition to an existing game! Get it soon!
5) Must Buys; Either a hot new game you MUST have, or the next great expansion you can’t wait to pick up and play.
Intellectual properties are a fickle thing, especially when it comes to fans of said franchises. Fans can be sent into a panic over the slightest transitions, be it a new company picking up the rights for it, a director or a writer making radical changes to established canon, or the whispers of the dreaded “reboot.”
It doesn’t matter what fandom you follow; each one has its own particular idiom and temperament, some more volatile than others. Anime fans have their trend and cosplay snobs, Tolkien purists won’t stop “quoting the man himself,” Ghostbusters fans won’t accept you unless you constructed all of your props accurately and by hand, and steampunk…well, there’s a good chunk of the steampunk community that are nigh-quixotic in their delusion of the Victorian lifestyle. Granted, these are all extreme examples, but the fact remains that fans can get ugly. Read the rest of this entry